Many businesses depend on SharePoint to develop websites. For instance, it is possible to create a site from SharePoint Homepage in Office 365. Also, you can benefit from a SharePoint team site when you develop an Office 365 group in Outlook Online or Office 365. While being on SharePoint server, you can either create a team or many other kinds of sites.
While used on any one of the common web browsers, these sites can as well be used as a secure place to store, organize, distribute and access information from multiple devices. Here are ten things you can do with SharePoint right now that makes this platform all the more interesting.
- You can upload your files directly on to your SharePoint document library in order to access them anytime from anywhere. Doing this is as simple as dragging files from a location in your computer into your document library. While using Microsoft edge, you can upload files or folders. In SharePoint online, you can use the ‘upload’ command.
- You can open a document in the document library. When you click to open the document, you wish to work on, it will open in Office Online.
- You can choose to work with others on the same document at the same time. You need to go to the document library and click to open the document you wish to work on. On the top right of the document, you will find the number of people working on it.
- Sharing documents is easier on SharePoint. To do this, you just have to select the documents you wish to share and click the ellipses. It will open the menu on which you must click on ‘Share’.
- You can also share sites on SharePoint. This is possible only when you have sharing permissions from the site owner. To share sites, click SharePoint or sites, choose the sites you wish to share and then click on ‘Share’.
- Creating a team site. While using Office 365, it is easy to create a team site from the SharePoint Homepage. This feature will help create an Office 365 group. When you create an Office 365 group in Outlook People, you will get a team in SharePoint Online automatically. Once you have site owner permissions on SharePoint server 2016 or 2013, you just have to click on ‘Sites’ and then click ‘+ new site’ or just ‘+ new’.
- You can add a list or library to your team site in SharePoint Online. To do this, you need to click on ‘+ New’ from within a site and then choose ‘List’ or ‘Library’ from the list.
- Retaining the previous version of the document while editing and making changes in it is now possible with SharePoint. Just right-click on the document link in a library and then click on ‘Version History’. Sometimes, you will have to scroll the menu to choose the version you want. For SharePoint server versions, just click on the ellipses found next to the file and then on the ellipses in the dialog for landing on the menu. Alternatively, you can also select the document and click on ‘Version History’ on the ‘Files’ tab.
- Searching for something is easier with SharePoint. You just have to type a search keyword into the ‘Search’ box and click on the ‘Search’ icon.
- It is easy to share information with your entire office group. In Office 365, SharePoint Online, or SharePoint Server 2016, you just have to click on the app launcher and then click on the Yammer or Newsfeed tile. After that, you can just type in your message and click ‘Post’.