By creating a document library in SharePoint Online or SharePoint Server 2016, 2013, 2010, or 2007, you can store files securely for you and your co-workers to access from multiple devices during any time. By default, SharePoint team sites feature a document library. Nevertheless, you can also add additional documents and other libraries as required.
To create or delete a library, you need permission to create and manage lists. You can modify the appearance and navigation of your SharePoint site. If you do not see an option like command, button or link, you can contact the administrator.
Creating a library in SharePoint Server 2016 and 2013
- Click on the settings button on the title bar and then click on site contents.
- Click on ‘Add an app’.
- Choose the library type you want from options document, form, picture, etc.
- List the apps on the Site Contents Page.
- If the one you wish to see does not list, type a keyword into the search box and click on search (magnifying glass icon).
- Type a title into the Name field.
- By clicking on Advanced Options, you can also enter a Description. Based on the type of library, you can add features like versioning.
- After inputting the name, description and optional versioning, click on ‘Create’.
Creating a library in SharePoint Server 2010
- Go to the site where you wish to create the library.
- Click on ‘Site Actions’. Click on ‘View all site content’ and then click on ‘Create’
- Under Libraries, click to choose the type of library you want from options (Document Library or Picture Library)
- Type a name for the library in the name box. Henceforth this name will appear at the top of the Library page. It will also appear in the navigational components that will help you locate and open the library.
- Create picture library dialogue. Click more options.
- If you type in a description in the box, it will appear on top of the library page under the library name. You can also opt to enable receiving content via email. Once you add the email id of the library to the description, people can find it out easily.
- Check if ‘Yes’ is selected in the Navigation section to add a link to the library on the Quick Launch.
- Some libraries allow integrating incoming email. In these versions, people can add files to the library by attaching them to email messages. To activate this option, check the ‘Yes’ option and then type the first part of the address that people can use for the library.
Creating a library in SharePoint Server 2007
- Go to All Site Content and click ‘Create’.
- Go to Libraries and choose the type of library you want either document library or picture library. Giving a name to the library is a must. This name will be seen on the top of the library page and will become part of the library page. If you type in a description in the box, it will appear on top of the library page below the library name. To enable receiving content by email, you can add the email address of the library to the description. Check if ‘Yes’ is selected in the navigation section to add a link to the library on the Quick Launch.
- Click on ‘Create’.
- If you find an Incoming email section, you can choose to enable people to add files to the library by sending them as attachments to emails.
- Based on the type of library you are creating, you will find a document template section. This section lists out the compatible programs available to create new files. Go to document template section and click the type of default file you want to use as a template for files created in the library.