In several environments, OneDrive for business is used to sync the work files to the computer. This process enables working with the files directly in your file system and accesses them offline as and when needed. The moment you are online, all those changes made to the files by you or others will automatically sync.
In this article, we discuss how to sync files with the help of the OneDrive sync client. If you do not subscribe to an Office 365 business plan or 21Vianet, you may have to sync files from any on-premise instance of the SharePoint Server or OneDrive for Business by using the earlier version of OneDrive for Business sync client. Here we are discussing only on how to sync OneDrive for Business to your computer.
- Using your work or school account, sign in to Office 365
- Click on the app launcher icon in Office 365 and then select OneDrive.
- Click on the Sync button.
- You will see the browser asking for permission to open Microsoft OneDrive, click on ‘Allow’ or ‘Yes’.
- What you will see next will depend on if you have the latest version of OneDrive already, if you have already signed in to OneDrive using your work or school account and if you are using a classic OneDrive.
- If you see the Getting ready to sync dialog box appear and nothing else happening, click on ‘Get the latest version of OneDrive’.
- After the download is over, you will be prompted to sign in.
- Once you see the Setup OneDrive dialogue box, sign in using your work or school account.
- If you have the latest version of OneDrive already and if you have already signed in, OneDrive will automatically open and you will be moved to the next step.
- When OneDrive opens and when you see the ‘Sync your OneDrive files to this PC’ dialogue box, select the folders you wish to sync or select all files and folders and then click on OK.
- Now Sync is fully set up. It is time to close the Getting ready to sync dialogue box if you find it still open in the web browser.
- You can access your OneDrive for Business files in File Explorer or Finder as OneDrive – CompanyName.
How to sync a site library to your PC
- Use your work or school account to sign in to your firm’s SharePoint site.
- Open the library which you want to sync
- Click on the Sync button
- Click on Sync Now to launch the sync app wizard. The wizard is configured to automatically fill in the name and web address of the library.
- To start syncing, select Sync Now
- To open the synced library in the file explorer, click ‘Show my files’. You will find the folder listed under Favorites in the SharePoint folder.